POLONICA IN SCOTLAND
A Register of Polonica of the physical manifestations of the Polish presence in Scotland
WORLD WAR TWO
MEMORIES OF THE SCOTS ABOUT THEIR POLISH FRIENDS
POLISH GIFT TO ARBROATH
12TH POLISH FIELD AMBULANCE
“Presented to the people of Arbroath by the 12th Polish Field Ambulance in token of their gratitude, 1st September 1945”.
1945 - Captain Dr Rużyłło stands second on the left amongst the soldiers who worked to bring the stone to the site and its construction.
Photo from the collection of the late Prof Rużyłło.
Memorial Stone, High Common
Robert Ostrycharz © 1999
For a set of close-up pictures of the memorial click on The Scottish War Memorials Project [external link]
On 2nd January, officers of the Polish Army were guests of Arbroath Town Council at an afternoon reception held in the Hotel Seaforth. Provost Sir William Chapel welcomed all to the reception.
On Sunday 12th January, a memorial service was held in St Margaret’s Church, by Reverend J Spence Cuthill, of the Old Church, Arbroath. On the 8th January 1941, the founder of the Scouting Movement, Robert Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell, died in Kenya. Along with representatives of the local Scout and Guide Associations and of the Boys’ Brigade were also Polish Scouts now serving with the Polish Army.
On Monday 14th January, the Provost of Arbroath read to the Town Council a letter in which officers and men of the Polish Army returned their thanks for the New Year cards they had received.
The letter said, “They represent for us far more than a simple greeting. When we return to Poland they will remain a souvenir very close to our hearts.” The soldiers would always retain the memory of the great kindness and hospitality which the town had extended to them.
[Source: Courier and Advertiser, 14 January 1941]
A number of sporting links existed between the Polish Army and the town.
Numerous soldier players assisted local football teams at the weekend. Arbroath Victoria football team had half a dozen players including a Polish right-winger who had played at international level.
In tennis, a Polish Davis cup player, Lt Maximilian (Max) Stolarow won in the mixed doubles. The tournament was organised by Arbroath Lawn Tennis Club at Arbirlot Road in June 1941 in aid of the town’s Rotary Club’s effort to raise money for the Red Cross.
SCOTTISH-POLISH SOCIETY ANGUS BRANCH
By 1943, five sub-branches of the Scottish-Polish Society existed within Angus Branch. These were at Brechin, Forfar, Kirriemuir, Letham and Monifieth. Dundee had its own separate branch. Overall, in Scotland the Society had more than 12,000 members.
It was not until August 1944 that a sub-branch of the Society was formed in Arbroath.
PRESENTATION OF THE MEMORIAL STONE ON THE HIGH COMMON
On Saturday afternoon 29th September 1945, Captain Dr Edward Rużyłło, officer commanding the 12th Field Ambulance, handed over to Provost Lamb a memorial stone, weighing two tons, which the unit had laid at the High Common. The stone was to mark the unit’s association with Arbroath. A brass plate fixed to the stone bore the inscription “Presented to the people of Arbroath by the 12th Polish Field Ambulance in token of their gratitude, 1st September 1945”.
The Provost thanked Capt Dr Rużyłło as well as his men for this token of appreciation. Knowing that the unit was soon to be posted away the Provost, on behalf of Arbroath, wished them well for the future. Bailies McGlashan and Gilbert also attended the ceremony. Bailie Gilbert was president of the Arbroath branch of the Scottish-Polish Society.
The 12th Fd Amb was later to move to Peterhead.
The Arbroath Herald also covered the presentation. The paper noted that in front of the stone a small area had been prepared for planting shrubs or flowers. Concrete steps on both sides provide approaches to a pathway in the rear of which were two public seats. These were gifts to the town by the Trustees of the late Miss Cruickshanks of Keptie Street.
SCOTTISH-POLISH SOCIETY ARBROATH BRANCH
OUTLINE OF THE POLISH ARMY IN ARBROATH
Some of the cultural and social activities of the Arbroath Branch of the Scottish-Polish Society are set out below.
Adjacent - Membership Card of the Scottish-Polish Society
On Sunday 27th August 1944, at a well attended meeting, presided by Bailie A.D. Gilbert, it was agreed that an Arbroath sub-branch of the Angus branch of the Scottish-Polish Society was to be formed in the town.
During the meeting, Dr Konopnicki from Edinburgh gave an illustrated talk on “Polish Peasant Art”.
Earlier on Saturday, he spoke in the Girl Guides’ hall on the subject of “Decorative Art in Poland”.
Below are some of the Scottish-Polish events that took place in Arbroath between 1944 and 1946.
On the 14th September, the first meeting of the Arbroath sub-branch was held in the British Legion Rooms. Office-bearers were elected and these included Bailie Gilbert as President; Vice President – Mr James Keir; Treasurer - Mr J McGregor and Secretary – Mr Graham. Eleven others, including several Polish women were elected to the committee. Mrs Bulik was put in charge of the knitting of woollen items for Polish soldiers and children. Like many other branches of the Society at this time, money was raised for the General Sikorski Memorial Hospital for Children.
On the 22nd October, 2/Lt Jaras gave a lecture to the branch entitled “The Story of a Generation”.
On 10th December, a Polish lady from Silesia, a Miss Firlus presented a lantern lecture to the branch on “The Face of Poland”
Lt Leopold Lorentz gave a lecture to members of the Arbroath Scottish-Polish Society on the 18th February on the subject of “The 1st Polish Armoured Division in Action”.
At the end of March, the Arbroath sub-branch organised a whist drive in the Café Moderne to raise funds for the Sikorski Memorial Hospital for Children.
In May, in the Girl Guide Hall in the town, a lecture under the auspices of the Society was presented by a Miss Wilkins on “A British Woman’s impressions of Poland”.
On the 3rd June, under the patronage of the Polish 12th Field Ambulance, a concert was given in Webster Memorial Hall. The symphony orchestra of the Polish 1st Mobile Ambulance Convoy and a Polish Pipe Band provided the music. The programme also included Scottish and Polish songs.
On Saturday 23rd June, the Countess of Airlie (President of the Angus Branch of the Society) opened a sale of work by the Arbroath branch. The sale, held in the Webster Memorial Hall, was in aid of the Sikorski Memorial Hospital for Children. This project was of great personal interest to the Countess. A sum of £680 was raised, resulting in more than a 1,000 being raised by the efforts of the branch.
During the afternoon the orchestra of the Polish 4th Infantry Division played.
The Countess commented that a great many friendships had been formed during the war with their Polish allies.
The platform party included two Polish officers, one of which was Captain Edward Rużyłło who commanded the Polish 12th Field Ambulance and whose HQ was at Windmill House, in Millgate Loan.
Around the last week of July, the ambulance unit provided a five-man team for a Five-a-Side Tourney organised by Arbroath FC Supporters’ Club at Gayfield. Their team, which included an international player, was beaten by the eventual winners of the senior competition – the Infantry Training Centre at Perth.
As part of Arbroath’s “Welcome Home” to the troops, Captain Rużyłło arranged for two bands of the 4th Polish Infantry Division to play at a concert in the Webster Memorial Hall on the 12th August. The concert was in aid of Arbroath’s Welcome Home Fund.
The brass band played in the first part of the concert, including the Overture from William Tell, Schubert’s Unfinished Symphony, a Rhapsody “Slavonic No 1” by Friedemann and finally a Mazurka from the Polish opera – “Halka” by Moniuszko. In Part II the symphony orchestra played a Polonaise – “Farewell Fatherland” [external link] by Ogiński and Lehar’s Fantasy “The Merry Widow”.
There was a selection of Soldier’s Songs arranged by the Conductor – M. Stark and a selection of Scottish melodies “the Thistle” by W. Middleton.
The concert ended with the playing of the Polish National Anthem and God Save the King.
The 12th Field Ambulance assisted the Council in evening festivities connected with V.J. (Victory over Japan) Day. In a letter of 17th August, Provost John Lamb wrote to its commanding officer to thank the men of the unit. The Provost singled out their efforts in making two bonfires a success and which was enjoyed by a large number of the community.
The annual meeting of the Arbroath branch of the Society was held at the beginning of October. Bailie Gilbert continued his tenure as president of the branch. It was reported that a quantity of items, including 700 garments had been sent to a Polish Children’s Rescue Fund.
In November, the branch sent a cheque for £1,000 to the Sikorski Memorial Trust.
On Saturday 8th December, Polish Forces based in the town entertained 145 children and their mothers at a st Nicholas Christmas party in the Baltic Works barracks. Mechanical toys made by Polish soldiers were given to each child as well as a bag of sweets. Members of Arbroath branch of the Scottish-Polish Society helped in the entertainment. A Polish orchestra and choir took part in the programme.
In mid December at the NAAFI at Baltic Works, an ex-prisoner of war who hailed from Paisley gave a talk on “Conditions of Life in Free Poland”.
Driving offences were too often committed by Polish soldiers and sometimes they resulted in tragedy.
One such case of reckless driving was heard at Dundee Sheriff Court on 10th December.
Named as Staff Sergeant Jan Gomonski, he was found guilty of driving an army truck in Arbroath causing it to come into collision with a woman cyclist who was fatally injured.
On Sunday afternoon 20th January, an illustrated lecture by Alexander Russell, Head of the School of Design at Dundee College, on the topic of “The Art of Poland” was given at a meeting of the Society.
The Annual Meeting of the branch was held on the 20th October. Bailie Gilbert was reappointed as president. In the year, the branch had forwarded over £1,000 to the Sikorski Fund. Amongst other donations were £20 to the Polish Red Cross, 5 guineas to a memorial to Polish airmen, 2 guineas towards a Polish Literary Fund. The branch had also sent five parcels of drugs and medical textbooks to Poland and the meeting agreed that more parcels of drugs should be sent there. Branch membership remained around the 240 mark.
In November a Polish Army lieutenant, Konstanty Popiel spoke to the Arbroath branch about his experiences in German occupied Paris.
The branch was still active in 1947. On Saturday 14th June of that year, it organised a bring-and-buy sale in the Guide Hall. Mr D D Wilson, Rector of Arbroath High School, opened the sale. The sale realised £42:18s. (£42.90).
TO BE CONTINUED
In the summer of 1940, before the arrival of soldiers of the Polish Army, Arbroath was defended by troops of the Royal Artillery. These troops included the 126th Field Regiment R.A. and over a thousand soldiers of a R.A. Training Regiment. Later, these deployments changed and the 71st Field Regiment R.A. moved in. There was also a company of nearly 300 men of the Auxiliary Military Pioneer Corps.
Two miles to the north-west of the town lay the Naval Air Station.
On the evening of the 16th October, the Polish 24th Lancers Regiment departed by rail transport from Douglas in South Lanarkshire. The regiment was moving to its new location in Arbroath where it de-trained the following morning. Because billets had not yet been vacated by British units, the regiment was housed in temporary quarters.
During the 18th, the squadrons occupied their proper billets at Baltic Works as they were vacated by the British units. The accommodation was very suitable. Ablutions had hot and cold running water and the toilets were of a good standard. The central kitchens for the whole regiment were equipped with modern cauldrons and hearths. Apart from that, the dining halls and sleeping quarters were clean and suitably equipped. The move of the regiment was only a small part of the very large movement of troops taking place at this time into their winter quarters. As previously agreed with the British military authorities, the Polish Army took over the central sector of the Scottish east coast. On the 18th October, the Polish troops came under operational control of Scottish Command.
The regiment, along with other troops of what would be soon titled the 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade, was commanded by General Maczek. The Brigade was given the responsibility of defending Arbroath and the rest of the southern area of Angus from seaborne and airborne attack. According to a published history of the regiment, its strength in the town, around the end of October 1940, was just over 700 soldiers. In addition, troops of the Polish 10th Anti-Tank Company and a troop of artillery composed of two 18-pdrs were initially based in the town.
The officers of the 24th Lancers were fortunate in having use of “The Elms” in Cairnie Road as their mess.
The 24th Lancers remained in Arbroath up to 21st July 1941 when they moved to Scone Palace Park, near Perth.
The first Polish soldier of the regiment to be killed at his post in Scotland was 27-year old Corporal Jan Lis of the Machine Gun Squadron. Due to stormy conditions, there had been a number of sea-mine explosions along the coast. Unfortunately, the soldier was accidentally killed in one of these explosions on the seashore of the West Links. He was buried on 1st February in the Eastern Cemetery. He was stationed at Baltic Works in Dens Road. He was unmarried and came from Sietesz in Przeworsk District.
In February 1941, some 50 Officers and nearly 700 Other Ranks of the 24th Lancers under the command of Lt.Col. Deskur, as well as 120 soldiers serving in the 10th Anti-Tank Company were based in Arbroath. The latter company moved to Lunan Bay later in the year.
During their visit to the Polish troops in Angus on 7th March, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth were entertained to lunch by the 24th Lancers in the officer’s mess at “The Elms”. Among the other guests were General Sikorski, Prime Minister and Commander-in-Chief who was accompanied by his wife and daughter as well as high-ranking generals of the Polish and British Forces.
The regimental history of the 24th Lancers recalls that during the whole of the winter of 1940 into the spring of 1941 the regiment was ready to go into action should there be an invasion. The enemy air raids on neighbouring industrial installations served to improve the regiment’s discipline and co-ordination within its sub-units.
During this time, training courses for vehicle drivers and technical specialists were held. These were of prime importance if a substantial part of the Polish Forces in Scotland was to evolve into an armoured division.
However, for the moment in the highest British military circles, such Polish plans for being pulled into a reserve role and trained as a mobile force would have to wait.
News of the German attack on the Soviet Union on the 22nd June reached the troops in Arbroath. This conflict between Poland’s two historical enemies was welcomed as it was seen that there would be a quicker end to the war and an earlier return to Poland.
Late afternoon on the 27th June, two large explosions were heard and immediately an air raid alarm. Clouds of smoke could be seen on the horizon – a lone German bomber reached the town and bombed the chemical works where a regimental outpost was located. The rescue squadron was immediately transported to the site of the fire which was quickly extinguished.
On 2nd July before dawn, there was a fire in the wing of the billets in Baltic Works. The regimental pump was started and was joined by the town’s fire brigade, and with the generous participation of the local population, the fire was extinguished at 4 am. There was however, an unfortunate accident – a Scottish civilian taking part in the action, fell from a ladder, was seriously injured and several days later died in the hospital.
On the 5th July, a day before the Regimental Day of the 24th Lancers, and in the evening, the Regiment assembled on the large sports field by the sea next to the monument to the fallen of the First World War. Part of the ceremonies included the awarding of the regimental badge and decorations for the September 1939 campaign and the French campaign of 1940. A bonfire was lit, a bugler sounded “attention”-“charge”-“recall”. Tributes were paid to the Polish fallen and a wreath laid on the monument.
Present on the Regimental Day was General Sosnkowski, deputising for General Sikorski. Following Mass, bravery medals were presented by the General to several officers and other ranks.
The General took the parade march past of the whole of the regiment. Lunch was served in the main hall for the whole regiment. A toast was raised to the Republic of Poland, its President, the Commander-in-Chief and the British King.
On 21st July, the Regiment left Arbroath and moved to a camp under canvas at Scone Palace Park. This move was part of a much larger change in the deployment of the 10th Armoured Cavalry Brigade. Troops of the 3rd Officer’s Cadre Rifle Brigade were relocated to Arbroath. They remained there until Polish soldiers of the 10th Mounted Rifles Regiment, under the command of Lt-Col Monwid-Olechnowicz, moved into their allocated sector of the Scottish east coast covering Arbroath to Barry Links in mid-October 1941. One squadron covered Barry Links, and the rest of the regiment was based in Arbroath, in the same building occupied earlier by the 24th Lancers. As well as undertaking coastal defence, soldiers in the regiment were undertaking theoretical and practical courses in armoured training with Polish armoured units as well as in British establishments. In late November, a 4-month secondary education course for soldiers of the 10th Brigade was established in Arbroath. In February 1942, cadet officers of the regiment who in civilian life were teachers ran a 3-month’s course of primary education for over 40 riflemen who had not completed their final year.
On the 23rd February, on the large field by the shore at King’s Drive, and in front of the whole of the Regiment there was a ceremonial handing over of command of the Regiment to its new commander, Lt-Col Skibinski.
On the 11th April 1942, as part of the newly formed 1st Polish Armoured Division, the 10th Mounted Rifles Regiment left Arbroath for Haddington. Its sector was taken over by British Army troops.
To comply with Scottish Command adjustments in accommodation, in late November Polish Guard companies were to be assembled at Baltic Works, Arbroath.
The records of Scottish Command (‘Q’ Movements) note that on 16th February 1945, 35 Polish officers and 1,399 Polish ORs moved from Arbroath to Galashiels. It may be that this move was connected with the Polish Guard companies, but unfortunately nothing was found in the records to substantiate this.
In February and March 1945, the Polish 12th Field Ambulance (Fd Amb) moved into Arbroath.
This medical unit formed part of the medical services of the 4th Polish Infantry Division. The 12th was only one of the three divisional field ambulances which had so far been mobilised. The CO of the 12th Fd Amb, Captain Edward Rużyłło, as a British report noted, is a particularly progressive and intelligent officer. The unit possessed only 4 MOs out of an establishment of 8. Otherwise, the establishment was complete. All the WOs, NCOs and men of the Fd Amb had a 2 months course of training in Army medical duties, but the NCOs were not sufficiently familiar with their duties. The fitters and driver-mechanics required some months of further training. No 12 Field Ambulance began unit training on 15th March.
Before the end of February, the Divisional Signals unit of the 4th Division, the 4th Signals Battalion moved into the town. Its HQ was in the YMCA building in the town, located in the High Street.
By May, the Angus Branch of the British Red Cross Society staffed and equipped a Casualty Reception Station of 15 beds at Arbroath. This unit worked under the auspices of No 12 Polish Field Ambulance and was extremely useful.
Around the time of the end of the war in Europe there was substantial storage space occupied by the Polish Army for troops or storage in Arbroath. The three main sites in Arbroath were at Dens Road, West Mill and Guthrie Port.
Later, in June, a very successful demonstration of the work of a field ambulance in the field was given by No 12 Field Ambulance at Arbroath to the cadets of St Andrew’s University Training Unit. The ambulance paraded in full strength except for one medical officer, and Captain Rużyłło gave a short talk, in English, on field ambulance duties. A main dressing station, a walking wounded collecting post and an ambulance car cab-rank were then formed and a number of “cases” were collected, treated and transported exactly as if the unit were in action. The work of No 12 Fd Ambulance and its commanding officer much impressed British observers.
On the 1st August 1945, one of the officers of the 4th Signals Battalion, 2/Lt Reluga was killed in a motoring accident on the road from Arbroath towards Kirriemuir. He was later buried at Wellshill Cemetery [internal link] in Perth.
The decisions reached at the Yalta Conference in February 1945 had far reaching consequences for Poland and its Armed Forces. In early July 1945, Britain ceased to recognise the London Polish Government and transferred recognition to the new Provisional Government of National Unity in Warsaw.
With the end of the war in Europe and Poland now under Soviet hegemony members of the Polish Armed Forces under British Command had to face up to the question of whether or not to return to Poland or adopt a ‘wait and see’ attitude. Many in Scotland did decide that for purely family reasons they wanted to return to Poland.
In September 1945, Capt Rużyłło opted to be repatriated to Poland.
The British military authorities set up a scheme to deal with those those opting for repatriation to Poland.
By the end of October, 90 officers, 11,093 Other Ranks in Scotland had been moved to Repatriation Camps in England.
The first transport ship bringing Polish soldiers back to Poland arrived at Gdańsk on 4th January 1946. In the first six months of that year some 32,450 soldiers of the Polish Armed Forces were repatriated to Poland.
In Scotland, during the war (and after) there were a large number of marriages involving Polish servicemen with Scots girls. Between 1939 and 1944, it was reported that there had been nearly 1,600 such marriages. This was part of a wider trend where women all over Britain were marrying ‘foreigners’ who had come to this country to fight on the British side.
From these Scottish-Polish marriages and other liaisons, a new second generation started to form.
A number of these marriages and the birth of children from these marriages, with links to Arbroath are given for illustrative purposes. They are arranged in roughly chronological order.
On the 6th April 1942, at the Roman Catholic Church in Arbroath, Sergeant Leon Wujec married Margaret Smith, the youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs A Smith of Allan St. In January 1945, his wife gave birth to a son in Arbroath Infirmary. At that time, Sgt Wujec was serving with the Polish Forces in NW Europe.
On the 17th December 1942, Lt Wladyslaw Pasaj married Betty Keir in Arbroath Old Church. She was the youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs James Keir who lived in Ponderlaw St., Arbroath.
2/Lt Wiesław Niebieszczański’s son was born in Arbroath Infirmary on 16th June 1943 to his wife Joan (née Chalmers), who lived in Carnoustie. They married on 7th April 1942 in Carnoustie. This officer served in the 10th Engr Coy which was located in Carnoustie in the early years of the war.
In February 1947 this officer, then living in Carnoustie, applied to the Home Secretary for naturalisation. See the section below for other Polish servicemen with links to Arbroath who applied for naturalisation.
On 4th September 1943, Lancer Wacław Chróścicki’s wife (formerly Molly Robb) gave birth to a son in Kerrlee Maternity House in Arbroath. He served in the 24th Lancers. Tragedy was to strike this family when on 9th August 1944 her husband was killed in action at Estrées la Campagne. He was later buried in the large Polish military cemetery at Langannerie in France. [external link to his grave]
On the 19th November 1943, Lt Ewald Powalski married Margaret Jamieson in St Margaret’s Church in Arbroath. They had a son together. He was born on New Year’s Day 1945 in Arbroath Infirmary.
Corporal Józef Gryb married Miss V Stapleton at St Thomas's RC Church on 18th September 1945.
On the 23rd November of that year, Signalman Pawlak’s Scottish wife, Annie gave birth to a son in the town’s infirmary.
At the end of May 1947, at Arbroath Infirmary, a daughter was born to Mrs and Mrs E Kuczaty (née Nan Waddell).
In the former Marine Ballroom on Hill Road there was fairly recently discovered a series of wall paintings completed by Polish soldiers during the last war. Details and digital images of these paintings are available on the Canmore RCAHMS website [external link]. Unfortunately no date is given that might help to attribute these paintings to a particular unit. Only one scene of the paintings shown depicts the defence of Scotland. It features an artillery piece together with a sentry looking out to sea. One might surmise that this painting harks back to at least late 1940 up to 1941.
In 1984, Professor Rużyłło made a return trip to Arbroath where he was photographed beside the Polish Memorial on the High Common 39 years after it was presented to the town. The photograph appeared in the Arbroath Herald issue of 4th May 1984.
TO BE CONTINUED
Other memories planned –
Adam Godowski – A soldier in the 24th Lancers
Jerzy Chmielewski “W Arbroath” (In Arbroath). Lt Chmielewski served in the 4th Signals Battalion.
IF ANYONE HAS MEMORIES, DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS OF THE POLISH FORCES IN ARBROATH AND WOULD LIKE TO SHARE THESE, THEN PLEASE CONTACT ME AT THIS EMAIL ADDRESS : firstname.lastname@example.org
POLES WHO SETTLED IN ARBROATH POST-WAR
An insight into those who settled here may be garnered from those who applied for British naturalisation and who lived in Arbroath at the time it was granted. Only the years from 1949 to 1961 are covered. Their names were published without using the Polish alphabet.
It is not possible to list every Pole who lived and or worked in Arbroath, but it at least gives some indication of the degree of Polish resettlement in the town, including the type of employment. Most, if not all of these men would have served in the Polish Forces.
For example, in the late 1940s –
Jozef Spiewak, Metal Turner, St. Thomas Crescent
Piotr Tymiec, Builder's Labourer, Cairnie Street
Bazyli Bubalo, Builder's Labourer, Guthrie Port
Marian Pyrzanowski, Motor Mechanic, Dishlandtown Street
Rudolf Majer, Labourer, Dishlandtown Street
Jozef Kawecki,Tobacconist, West Port
In the 1950s -
Stanislaw Klimkiewicz, Farmer, Arbirlot Road
Boleslaw Bledowski, Labourer, South Lodge Hospitalfield
Jan Burza, Male Nurse (Hospital), North Grimsby
Franciszek Bogulak, (known as Frank Bogulak), Foreman Electrician, Bruce Road
Mieczyslaw Frankowski, Garage Mechanic, Palmer Street
Stanislaw Jan Czarkowski, Photographer, Brechin Koad
Jan Kucharski, Linesman (Electrical), Green Street
Grzegorz Antoni Wiltosz, Labourer, Cross Mill Wynd
Bronislaw Jaroslaw Mikolajewicz, Radio Engineer, Green Mills, West Mill Wynd
Marian Antoni Joseph Szatan, Laundry Worker, Bakers Wynd
Boleslaw Opara, Lorry Driver, Ponderlaw Lane
Jan Grzybowski, Labourer, 26 Leonard Street
Wladyslaw Glowacz, Linesman (Electric Cables), St. Mary Street
Rudolphus Josephus Plawecki, (known as Rudolf Plawecki, Locomotive Driver, Maule Street
Jozef Karzmarek, (known as Joseph Fenton), Fisherman, Priory Crescent
Stefan Leszek, Machine Operator, North Grimsby
Jan Stapor, Tailor and Draper, Guthrie Port
Edmund Stanislaw Laskowski, Garage Proprietor, Red Lion Service Station, Dundee Road
Richard John Roberts, (formerly Ryszard Jan Morawiec), Engineer's Labourer, Helen Street
Karol Wilhelm Swierczyna, Capstan Operator, Montrose Road
Alfred Marcol, Electric Welder, St Mary Street
Alfred Buczek, Market Garden Manager, Mayfield House, Cliffburn Road
Edward Kuczaty, Case Hardener, Ladyloan
Boleslaw Guscinski, (known as Bob Guscinski), Shoemaker, West Newgate
Stanislaw Bekier, Engineering Hardener Machinist, Barbers Croft
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND SOURCES
24 Pułk Ulanów: zarys historii 1920-1947. Komornicki, Stefan. London 1976.
Polska i Szkocja. Prof. Edward Rużyłło. Private. No date.
Arbroath Herald, Courier and Advertiser [Dundee], Edinburgh Gazette.
Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum [external link]
The National Archives Kew. various War Office files relating to Scottish Command
Revised 19 January 2014
© Copyright R M Ostrycharz 2014