Register of Polish War Graves at

Wellshill Cemetery, Perth

 

Front Cover Book.GIF

Introduction to Wellshill Cemetery

According to the Register of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for the County of Perthshire it was in September 1940 when the Polish authorities expressed a wish for a special consecrated plot in a cemetery for the burial of members of their forces. As there was a substantial number of Polish troops in the area, Wellshill Cemetery was selected as one of the burial grounds. The local authorities set aside a special section in the Jeanfield Road entrance for war graves and at the southern end of this section is the large Polish plot.

 

Location of Wellshill Cemetery

Perth is situated on the River Tay and can be reached from Glasgow via the A9 or from Edinburgh via the M90.

Direction signs in Polish indicating the site of the Polish war graves have been erected.

The entrance is off Jeanfield Road.

 

Numbers of casualties

An analysis by the Commission of this cemetery states that there are 354 Polish war graves made up of 339 Army, 4 Navy, 9 Air Force and 2 miscellaneous - 1 Polish nurse and 1 civilian.

Excluded from the Polish casualties are 26 members of the Polish Resettlement Corps (PRC) who are included in the British statistics and Lt-Col G K Langer also of the PRC who died on 30th March 1948. (The CWGC regard deaths after 31st December 1947 as non-War casualties).

Thus Wellshill cemetery contains 381 Polish graves - 50% of the war burials in Scotland.

In 2011 the remains of Lt Col G K Langer were repatriated to Poland.

 

The earliest war casualty in the cemetery is that of pchor (Officer Cadet) Ulrych-Uleński who died on 18th November 1940 and the last known, until his remains were returned to Poland, Lieutenant-Colonel Langer.

 

Last name of casualty beginning with the letters

 

A to G

H to L

M to P

R to Z

 

R Ostrycharz 1998-2013

Wellshillmain.htm

Prepared/Revised 3 Mar 2013